Three way ball valves are used in applications with more than one source of media or to divert media in two different directions. Depending on the flow direction, the three ports are assigned as either one outlet and two inlets or one inlet and two outlets.
Three way ball valves have three ports and can be manually operated or automated with an electric or pneumatic actuator. The bore through the ball comes in two varieties: “L” and “T” port. Three way valves can:
- Cut off or shut off flow
- Switch flow between two different sources
- Combine the flow from two different sources
- Alternate flow between two different destinations
- Divert flow coming from one source to another destination
- Split flow coming from one source between two outgoing destinations